"The greatest day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. The gift of life is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you get to determine the quality of it. Live the next five years on purpose. Now is the time. Imagine the possibilities. Go places, have adventures, make a real difference, do what you love. Follow your dreams, they know the way."

Sunday, December 12, 2010

that one day I realized I am completely unprepared for this cold weather a.k.a. the first snow hike

So my friend Mark asks us (myself, Courtney and Rachel) if we want to go hiking this weekend. As new CO transplants excited about outdoor adventures, of course we all said YES!! As we are driving up into the mountains and the temperature continues to drop (I think the lowest it got was 14 degrees), I started to think maybe I don't have the correct outdoor clothing for these sort of adventures.
on our snow hike on Echo Mountain (photo courtesy Rachel Stevenson)

I don't. I definitely don't. Next on my purchase list: snow boots (preferably Sorels), snow/ski jacket, a beanie, ear warmers, face mask (I think my nose almost got frostbite), thicker gloves, more thermal clothings, snow pants, and the list goes. Dear REI: please have a sale soon.
Rachel, Mark, Courtney and I found a gazebo on our hike!!

Regardless of my lack of proper clothing, we had a blast! We started hiking up near Echo Mountain (about an hour from Denver) to a fire lookout tower and never actually made it to the tower but had fun hiking through the beautiful and isolated winter wonderland. To warm up, we stopped at the Little Bear Bar in Evergreen - a little bar with a lot of character. I love that there are so many fun outdoor activities just minutes from Denver! Can't wait for the next snowy adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment